Another beautiful, mostly sunny weekend. We spent some time amending our raised garden bed and raspberry canes with organic compost, planted a row of spinach and removed two of our four grape vines. The previous owners planted them way too close together and they have yet to produce any truly edible clusters of fruit. That is the hardest part, taking out established plants, with no place to transplant them. Hopefully this will allow the two remaining vines to flourish. With grapes, almost 90% of the vine needs to be cut back every year and canes only fruit their second year. I know I’ve been too much of a softie in the past, but I hope to do better this year.
Meanwhile, we decided to try starting plants indoors with a grow light. We may have started too early, but the little seedlings are doing really well. Here’s hoping for a bountiful and early harvest!